Roberto Escobar, brother of the late Colombian drug trafficker Pablo Escobar, wants to review the second season of the Netflix series "Narcos" before it airs, according to a letter acquired by gossip site TMZ. In what he described as a "friendly request for co-operation," Escobar also asked Netflix for a share of the profits from the show in a letter dated July 1.
"It is my wish that you do not release any Narcos television show or any other show or shows depicting me, my family or my brother Pablo Emilio Escobar Gaviria, unless I am given the rightful opportunity to review this material," he wrote. Escobar, who worked as Pablo’s accountant, adds in the letter that he's "one of the few surviving members of the Medellín cartel."
In 2015, Escobar registered successor-in-interest rights to his brother's business in California through his company Escobar Inc. And before the show premiered last year,
Escobar Inc. CEO Olof K. Gustafsson said the company tried to contact Netflix but didn't get a response, Variety reported.
"In the first season or Narcos, there were mistakes, lies and discrepancies from the real story, the story that I was not only part of making, but that I survived from," Escobar wrote. “I hope you are not profiting from my show, and if you are I ask you to share some profits with us.”
At the end of the letter, which includes the family seal, Escobar writes: “My brother would not have liked season 1, maybe he will enjoy season 2 if you respond to me and we solve this issue.”
In an interview with Newsweek today, Escobar said he wants $1 billion in compensation from Netflix. “If they decline my offer we have attorneys ready to proceed with necessary actions,” he said. “I don't think there will be any more Narcos if they do not talk to me. You have to pay to play, and they are playing me without paying."