null: nullpx

Austin paramedics save man with ice filled shopping cart

Life threatening temperatures were to blame
Aug 14, 2019 – 6:07 PM EDT

Quick thinking and an improvised way may have saved a man in Austin Tuesday. Austin-Travis County Emergency Medical Services Paramedic Rescue team answered a call of a man that collapse due to heat stoke around 5 in the evening.

Medics on the scene quickly evaluated the unresponsive man who had an internal temperature of 108.2 degrees. With a temperature like that could cause brain damage corrding to Darren Noak, the captain of the ambulance service.

Quick thinking and being right next to a Sam's Club, the deputy director made a call to gather some items from the store in which the store had donated knowing the situation.

First responders gathered a shopping cart, a tarp and ice and then placed the patient in the cart and poured ice on him that allowed to cool his internal temperature to 101.4 before being transported to the hospital.

The National Weather Service has issued heat advisory warnings for those who are outdoors this week where temperatures are hitting triple digits. Experts advise if you are outdoors to drink plenty of water, and to take pre-cautions. If you see someone showing signs of heat exhaustion, call immediately for medical help.

Advertisement