My daughter was easy to shop for when she was little. She loved pretend play so anything with baby dolls, princesses, ponies or play food and she was a happy camper. Then the tween years hit and gift giving got more complicated as she moved away from toys. Now she’s a full fledged teenager full of opinions and rapidly changing interests.
Gifts for tween and teen girls are actually even more fun because you have the opportunity to really think about the girl and find the perfect gift for her. That’s way more special than just plucking a Barbie off the shelf at Toys R Us.
Here are my top gifts for teen and tween girls:
For the academic…
- “Girls Think of Everything: Stories of Ingenious Inventions by Women” is a book about female inventors.
- GoldieBlox construction sets are great for girls who still secretly want to play, but think they are too old. They allow girls to build intricate sets with lots of moving parts while strengthening math, science, engineering and technology skills.
- You can’t go wrong with a Starbucks gift card to stay caffeinated for all that study time!
For the artist…
- Pay for a class so she can hone her skill.
- A museum membership will keep her inspired all year.
- Supplies are expensive. Make a basket filled with drawing paper, canvases, paint, brushes, colored pencils or whatever is appropriate for her medium of choice.
For the writer…
- Being a reader is key to being a writer. Give her a copy of your favorite book with a note explaining what it means to you.
- A pretty notebook is great for writing down ideas.
- Pay her admission to a writing class or conference.
For the fashionista…
- Paper Punk is jewelry that doubles as 3D art. Girls – and adults – create stunning jewelry by folding paper and then customizing it with gems and glitter.
- A gift card to her favorite store will make you the coolest person in her world.
- Hit Ebay for a high quality designer or vintage handbag or piece of clothing in her size.
For the musician…
- You can’t go wrong with concert tickets!
- Sheet music for her favorite movie is a fun gift – even if it means another year of hearing “Let It Go” on repeat.
- High quality headphones mean she can soak in tunes without everyone else having to listen all the time.
For the athlete…
- Tickets to see a live sporting event will be treasured.
- Athletes are always in need of fresh socks. But not just boring ‘ol gym socks. Go with snazzy patterns and colors, of course.
- Present some fresh female sports role models with “Women Who Win: Female Athletes on Being the Best.”
For the baker…
- Register her for a cake decorating class.
- Fill a colorful mixing bowl with an apron, measuring cups and other baking tools so she has her own supplies.
- Of course, a KitchenAid Stand Mixer is THE HOLY GRAIL for all bakers.
These gifts show that you know her and support her interests. What are your favorite gifts for older girls? Let us know in the comments below.