Does your child walk around the house “roaring” like a T-Rex? When it comes to dinosaurs for kids, there are many great options. Pick up something new to share with your dino fan today. They’ll be thrilled with something new and you’ll get a break from their favorites on repeat – if only temporarily! Here are picks for dinosaur fans.
Stop by any toy store or even the toy department at your local big box retailer and you are bound to find dino toys. Don’t forget – dinos can be girl toys, too! Here are some of our favorites.
- Figures: Toy figures have always been popular, but Animal Planet has really taken them to the next level. Their offerings include a 20 inch T-Rex and 18 inch pterodactyl, for example. The figures are made of foam and easy for small hands to grip, but cool enough to keep your child interested as they grow. Tubs and tubes of smaller dino figures are also widely available for kids to set up their own jurrassic land.
- Playsets: Fossil excavation, skeleton building and adventure kits are just a few of the playsets featuring dinos. Animal Planet and Discovery Kids have a wide range of playsets for all ages.
- Ride-ons and remote control: Toddlers and preschoolers will love dinosaurs they can ride on like Fisher Price’sStride to Ride Dino. Older kids will love powering the creatures through remote control. Robotic ‘saurs range in price from under $25 for simple toys to well over $100 for more advanced models.
New books about kid’s favorite prehistoric creatures hit the market every week. There are also dozens of really great classics on the subject. Check out:
The Berenstain Bears’ Dinosaur Dig by Jan and Mike Berenstain
I’m a T-Rex! by Dennis Shealy and Brian Biggs
How Do Dinosarus Say Happy Birthday? by Jane Yolen and Mark Teague (This is part of a series of dino books by these authors.)
Prehistoric Predators by Brian Switek
Dino-Mike and the Museum Mayhem by Franco Aureliani
Dinosaur movies and TV shows
There are tons of books and TV shows about dinosaurs. No need to go broke shopping on Amazon, though. Your local library will have a large selection for you to borrow for free. Netflix also has a nice inventory ready to watch instantly. Pick one out for your next family movie night. Here’s a short list:
- Walt Disney Dinosaurs
- Dinosaur Train
- The Land Before Time
- Dinosaur Island
- Jurrasic Park
- Danny and the Dinosaur
- Harry and His Bucket Full of Dinosaurs
- Walking with Dinosaurs
- Dino Dan
- Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs
- Bob the Builder: The Big Dino Dig Movie
Need more dinosaurs for kids ideas? There are whole Pinterest boards dedicated to the topic. Let us know what you find.