10 Weeks of Family Activities for a Fun and Relaxing Summer!10 Weeks of Family Activities for a Fun and Relaxing Summer!
Need inspiration for some summer family fun? The trick to maintaining your balance and sanity is to plan ahead! Here’s a list of family activities to keep your kids active and entertained during the 10 weeks of summer break! Week 1 Begin creating a summer family photo journal. Print out a map of your area, …
Need inspiration for some summer family fun? The trick to maintaining your balance and sanity is to plan ahead! Here’s a list of family activities to keep your kids active and entertained during the 10 weeks of summer break!
- Begin creating a summer family photo journal.
- Print out a map of your area, identify and choose all the local parks to visit, then take pictures to add to your family photo journal.
- Print out a list of children’s books that have won Caldecott Medals (these books have been recognized as the year’s most distinguished American picture book for children!) and challenge them to read as many as they can. Bonus: Read the books together!
- Go biking on a trail. (Stop to take some photos for your journal!)
- Have an A to Z scavenger hunt and find something around the house, or out in the yard that begins with every letter.
- Make a fort out of blankets and cardboard boxes.
- Visit the beach, build a sand castle, fly a kite, and collect shells. (More photo opportunities for your family journal!)
- Have a water balloon fight.
- Cloud gaze and see how many animal, food, and other shapes you can identify.
- Play guess which cloud where you take turns choosing a cloud with an identifiable shape (dragon, ice cream cone, truck, etc.) and others guess which cloud you’re looking at.
- Set up a tent in the backyard for a summer playhouse. (One of our favorite summer activities!)
- Have a game night playing charades, Pictionary, etc. (Extra fun to do in your tent playhouse!)
- Learn about stargazing and identify as many constallations as possible.
- Assemble a family cookbook with all your favorite recipes.
- Make popsicles in Dixie cups using fruit juices.
- Bake cookies for an ice cream sandwich.
- Set up an ice cream sundae buffet.
- Make smoothies! (Remember to add all your yummy creations to your cookbook!)
- Plan a picnic at a park or in your backyard.
- Go for a walk and make a collage from nature objects you find along the way. (Don’t forget to add photos to your journal!)
- Create a sidewalk chalk mural.
- Have an outdoor painting party using giant-sized canvases or cardboard.
- Make paper boats and race them in a kiddie pool using straws to blow them around.
- Visit a zoo or aquarium to learn about animals.
- Create a backyard zoo or circus where kids can pretend to be animals and dress up as clowns.
- Visit a retirement home where kids can chat with and read stories to residents.
- Visit a local museum.
- Ahem… photo journal for all of the above!
Mix, match, add… and tweak them to fit your needs! Wishing you a fun, relaxing, and memorable summer with your family!