Pequeños y Valiosos: A Public Information Partnership Focused on Young HispanicsPequeños y Valiosos: A Public Information Partnership Focused on Young Hispanics
Research conducted over the past few decades has shown that early health and learning directly impacts a child’s long-term productivity and success.
Building upon Univision’s award-winning education initiative and Too Small to Fail’s mission to help parents and businesses take meaningful actions to improve the education, health and well-being of children ages zero to five, Univision and Too Small to Fail are partnering to launch the Pequeños y Valiosos (Young and Valuable) campaign.
The national, cross-platform public action campaign will mobilize Univision’s audience to take specific and concrete actions to enrich the lives of America’s youngest Hispanics, ages 0 to 5.
For the first year of the campaign, we will focus on narrowing the vocabulary gap, which is a difference in the amount of words children learn, driven largely by the number of words they hear in their first five years. We are beginning with the vocabulary gap because there are simple things parents and families can do to ensure their children are prepared for pre-school, kindergarten, and beyond.
Research shows that home learning environments and parents’ awareness of the impact their interactions have on their children are two primary factors that drive school readiness. This means that if we can equip parents with the knowledge and tools to succeed as their children’s first teachers, we will see a significant increase in the number of children who are prepared to start school.
The campaign will communicate with two target audiences:
- Parents/Caregivers of young Hispanics " because virtually all studies of academic success show the importance of parental engagement; and
- The broader Hispanic community " because raising awareness of how important early childhood development is to a child’s future will help ingrain these learnings into our everyday lives and interactions.
The multi-platform, multi-year initiative will consist of the following elements:
- Public Service Announcements (television & radio)
- Network News & Public Affairs Programming
- Radio Programming
- Local News
- Entertainment Content Integration
- Grassroots Community Outreach, in partnership with Univision affiliates and local organizations; and,
- Promotional Efforts
Messages for each phase of the campaign will be delivered across these multiple platforms.
Throughout the multi-platform initiative, Univision and Too Small to Fail will focus messaging on the following themes:
- Every child deserves the best possible chance at success. What parents do every day, like reading to their child, singing a lullaby, and talking directly with their child, has a lasting impact on their child’s brain development and prepares them for success in school and beyond.
- The more words young children hear in everyday interactions with adults, the better prepared they are to learn.
- Parents are our children’s first teachers. What is done at home every day makes a world of difference in a child’s ability to succeed in school and in life.
- Together, the Hispanic community " primarily parents and caregivers " have the power to create a stronger start for our children.